• Do

Has anyone here planned their vacation to the tiniest details? No? Well, maybe someone has, but most of us just are just chronically late, be it because we all postpone stuff or because, as much as we want to escape routine, travelling in the Summer is ugh so expensive. We feel ya. If you’re at a loss, here’s 5 of the cheapest destinations in Europe.

Riga, Latvia
According to recent research, Riga is trending. No wonder, with its priceless cultural heritage โ€“ the city center is home to the best preserved Art Nouveau architecture in Europe and to as many as 50 museums; Riga is also known as the Paris of the North (as is Warsaw). Ok, it might not be the best place to lay on the beach, but I challenge you to get bored in the capital of Latvia. If you love architecture, don’t miss the Three Brothers, three buildings in Mazฤ Pils iela, and the House of the Blackheads. Riga is on the rise but has not been invaded by hords of tourists yet โ€“ and that means it’s still on the cheap side.

Kiev, Ukraine
More modern and more European than many Slavic cities, Kiev is the perfect compromise for those who have tight budgets but don’t want to give up certain luxuries. Despite an uncertain political situation, Kiev offers unique sights, many beautiful churches that totally qualify as art, and a lifestyle that is accessible even to the thinnest of wallets. Don’t miss the Podil neighborhood, one of the the most beautiful, most colorful, and liveliest parts of the city.

Sofia, Bulgaria
One more destination in Eastern Europe, of which Sofia is rightfully considered the Queen. As elegant ss it is unexpensive, Sofia is rich in art, history, religion, and traditions that make it absolutely unique. Due to its mild climate (read: it won’t feel like you’re in an oven, even in July), strolling in the city center is a delightful experience. Write these names down: Thracian Treasure, Central Mineral Baths, and the young and hip Studentski grad area.

Warsaw, Poland
The capital of Poland always holds surprises, and leaves us with a sense of longing any time we get away from it. Warsaw has had some of the most difficult times in twentieth-century Europe and was completely destroyed in WW2. After just a few years, however, part of the city center had already been rebuilt, including the Royal Palace that is the pride of every Pole. But there’s so much more to see in Warsaw; here’s just a few sights: the Old Town (which is a Unesco WHS), the POLIN Museum of the History of Polish Jews, and the Palace of Culture and Science. Don’t miss the melody resounding through the city every day at 11.15 am in memory of the first Nazi bombing of the city: it is a truely moving moment.

Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
No larger than a small county, Luxembourg is considered to have one of the best qualities of life in the world. This ministate offers a lot to see, such as its over 100 Medieval castles and the Alzette river, which makes the place oh-so-charming. Luxembourg will also surprise you with its culinary and renowned tradition, the fruit of the encounter of many different influences. Whatever your tastes, you’ll find an affordable activity in Luxembourg City, for cheaper than you would in many European capitals.

Tagged in:

25 Responses to “Summer 2017: 5 Unusual and Cheap European Destinations”

Great list. Warsaw is one of my favorite destination, as it is both inexpensive but very modern and diverse. I love exploring it with my every trip. My friends who live there always take me to different spots and last time we celebrated my birthday in one of the best bars I have been to. It was called Bubbles, and as the name suggests they specialize in champagnes and sparkling wines, but they also serve excellent food. The atmosphere of that bar is amazing it was one of the best birthday parties I have ever had ๐Ÿ™‚

Reply to Katia
  • Great list of places I’d love to visit someday!

I recommend travelling to Lapland, Finland. And of course our capital Helsinki ๐Ÿ˜€

Reply to Anne-Mari
  • Hehe, I live in Warsaw ๐Ÿ˜€ My partner told that we don’t have to go to holidays then… oops.

Reply to Karolina

I live in Luxembourg and although this country is versatile and beautiful and very worth visiting one thing is it definitely not: cheap! Luxembourg taxis are ranged as the most expensive in the entire Europe just to name one example.

Reply to Elena
      • TBS CREW

Hi Elena, thank you for your email.
        We are talking about destinations for Summertime, and a trip to Luxembourg is absolutely cheaper (flights, acomodation) than other spots like, Spain, France, Greece… please mind “in Summer”! ๐Ÿ™‚

Reply to TBS CREW

i wouldn’t give any of these countries my money or my time. The Hub of the European nazi party Is in the Ukraine and my grandparents fled from the Ukraine and Poland because of the Pogroms! Where are the apologies and formal recognition of these purges??The fascist movement in Bulgaria is at an all time high since WWII – no thank you! How much money from murdered Jews did Luxembourg bury in their banks during the war? What happened to it all?

Reply to Bella

Out of curiousity: Who would you give money to? All countries that we know of now as independent have bloody history and are corrupted or controlled by religion and most people in the western universities have read “The Benefits of War” and “The Flatland” so I would love to change your perspective as I travel quite a bit and would definitely return to most counties mentioned in the blonde salad blog (as opposed to places where women still don’t have any human rights or where there is a constant war). Please tell us what is your perfect country??Good luck.

Reply to iga viktoria rose

Riga? In this list? Maybe it’s Riga from 20 years ago when it was pure Riga, but Riga today is… going into the centre, full with drunk englishmen, stag parties…? Cheapy ryanairtickets to Riga, has disadvantages. Riga is much less charming then before, much more focused on mass tourism. Few years ago, I returned to Riga(15 years after my first visit) and felt like: this city is really fucked up. There much more nicier, more pure cities who deserve a place, but definitely not Riga ;-). Go to Vilnius, and then Riga… then you understand my point. Vilnius, probably biggest hidden gem(capital) in Europe ;-). Even charming Skopje, Ljubljana… .

Reply to Ostendnomad
  • I always found Luxembourg to be very expensive, compared with Brussels and Paris.
    A cheaper, more authentic alternative to Provence is Languedoc: gorgeous countryside, castles, great food and wine, beaches…just look up Carcassonne for an idea.

Reply to Taste of France

I would add Krakow Poland. Lovely city, lovely people, rich in history.

Reply to renee

I’ve visited some of this cities and I would add Belgrade to this list which is also cheap and offers even more tourist attractions.
    That’s my (not subjective) opinion. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Reply to Sonja

I agree with Sonja. We went on our honeymoon last year through Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia, Slovenia and some others however, these countries are cheap and have absolutely amazing history, architecture in the sense of churches and city buildings, village lifestyle and beautiful waerfalls/ lakes etc.

Granted, I am Croatian however, the tourist trip we did was amazing going to about 15 main sites in Bosnia alone. Prokosko Jezero (lake) is absolutely jaw dropping.

On another note, we are travelling next year again and these places are already in our list – great tips!

Reply to Kristina

You should try Bucharest too. Is nice and has a great night life

Reply to Iunia
  • Another place that is amazing is Bali! From Indonesia myself, Bali is the best place to maximise summer fun!

Reply to Anya
  • Those destinations are wonderful, really fascinated by each one and hopefully get to visit some day. Greetings!

Reply to blogoratti